Book review 37 - Heir of Fire by Sarah J Maas


Pages: 562
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Publication date: September 2, 2014S
Summary: 
Lost and broken, Celaena Sardothien’s only thought is to avenge the savage death of her dearest friend: as the King of Adarlan’s Assassin, she is bound to serve this tyrant, but he will pay for what he did. Any hope Celaena has of destroying the king lies in answers to be found in Wendlyn. Sacrificing his future, Chaol, the Captain of the King’s Guard, has sent Celaena there to protect her, but her darkest demons lay in that same place. If she can overcome them, she will be Adarlan’s biggest threat – and his own toughest enemy. 

While Celaena learns of her true destiny, and the eyes of Erilea are on Wendlyn, a brutal and beastly force is preparing to take to the skies. 
My thoughts:
I am going to be honest right now and tell you this is more of a 3 star book, but I am giving it 4 stars because it's a Throne of Glass book. But it is not a 4 star book at all.

I am not sure what books 4, 5 and 6 are going to be like, but this will be my least favourite book in the series, I can already tell. It just didn't have the same feeling as the other books for me and it didn't draw me in like the others did. I finished both Crown of Midnight and Throne of Glass in 1-3 days, and a Throne of Glass reread in 1 sitting, yet this took me almost 2 weeks to get through.

I did like it, I will star my review by saying that I did like it. I will continue with the series. I see the important of this book and the world building and the characters we meet and their development and the new storylines, I know it means something, but yeah I had issues.

My first issue is with the characters themselves. Everything felt off about me. I barely cared about Chaol, my FAVOURITE character, because his storyline is so minuscule and unimportant in this book. He's really only used to further Aedion's plot and it saddens me to see my favourite character reduced to nothing. Not to mention I am so disgusted with the hate he receives. Not just from the fans, but from the characters. Celaena hates him for something that she could never have stopped, even if she wanted to. Dorian hates him for keeping secrets that were not his to tell, and everyone else just hates him because they can. Like leave him alone. 
Then we get Dorian, who had a terribly boring storyline and once again only seemed to be in this book to further the plotline of another new character, Sorcha. I liked her a lot. She's sweet and caring and gentle and I love her relationship with Dorian. I enjoyed their POVs but I really just don't care about their storyline much.
And Celaena. Not going to lie, she started off irritating me. This whiny selfish woe is me attitude was really not my cup of tea. Celaena was never one to have a pity party but the first 200 pages of her story was a Celaena pity party and I wasn't having it. Thank god she improved because I would have lost all hope in this book. I ended up loving her storyline starting midway through the book and I am so so so excited for book 4. I also ~liked~ Rowan. I can't get over how much I hated him at the beginning, nor will I ever lose some of that feeling. He grew on me, but he isn't my favourite (well, he's my favourite male of this book because Chaol and Dorian were so useless). I think the whole carranam think with Rowan is awfully convenient and I am praying to everyone I can think of to not make these 2 a romantic plot because I will officially give up. 
I think Manon's storyline in this book is my favourite now. Her storyline made no sense to me at first naturally since it was really weirdly introduced, but I love it. Her little creature monster and her are so cute (not a word normally used to describe Manon) and I just liked it. I still am not quite sure how it fits in, but I know it will. I just thoroughly enjoyed her POVs, which I did not at the beginning.

I think my biggest problem stemmed from the storylines in this book and the inconsistency it created with me. When I started the book, I hated Celaena and Manon's storylines. I kept waiting and waiting for Chaol and Dorian's, and they were so short. But gradually that shifted until I was craving Manon and Celaena and I didn't care about Chaol and Dorian as much. I don't like to dread POVs. It's a problem I also face with Game of Thrones. I just find dreading any part of a book to be something negative about the book.

Now, I really do need to ititerate that I did not hate this book. Yes, this review is filled with entirely negative things basically, but I did enjoy it. Celaena is still so kick ass. I loved the new weird creatures she faced, and the new people she met in the kitchens. I love Sorscha so much and am so glad to see Dorian happy with someone. Aedion is not a character I fully love yet, but I do like his story and I am looking forward to reading more about him and Aelin and seeing how they will react to one another. Overall, a really great book, a crucial inclusion to the Throne of Glass series, just not my favourite of the 6

0 comments:

Post a Comment


up