Book review 28 - Eragon by Christopher Paolini

Pages: 503
Publisher: Knopf
Publication date: June 2002
Summary: 
When Eragon finds a polished blue stone in the forest, he thinks it is the lucky discovery of a poor farm boy; perhaps it will buy his family meat for the winter. But when the stone brings a dragon hatchling, Eragon soon realizes he has stumbled upon a legacy nearly as old as the Empire itself. 

Overnight his simple life is shattered, and he is thrust into a perilous new world of destiny, magic, and power. With only an ancient sword and the advice of an old storyteller for guidance, Eragon and the fledgling dragon must navigate the dangerous terrain and dark enemies of an Empire ruled by a king whose evil knows no bounds.

Can Eragon take up the mantle of the legendary Dragon Riders? The fate of the Empire may rest in his hands.
My thoughts:
I am not big on epic fantasy like this. It's usually very hard for me to world build in my head and imagine the setting and everything. It's not a problem I usually have with anything else, but for some reason epic fantasy does that to me. This book, however, didn't do that to me. I actually really REALLY enjoyed this! 

This was my first time reading Eragon. When this book was really huge and blowing up all over the book world, I was reading my adult contemporary and just had no time for silly YA nonsense. Now that all I read is silly YA nonsense, I figured it was time to give this a try. I'm really glad I did to be honest. This was a fresh and unique world, a unique storyline and really interesting. I did watch the movie in theaters and really liked it, clearly I don't now. The movie is horrible. I've never seen a worse book to movie in my entire life, it was infuriating. 

Eragon was such a good character. I loved him. He was the exact way a 15 year old should be portrayed. Selfish and silly and dumb, and yet he is mature in the right moments and takes on his responsibility because he has to. As well, his reactions to things are fitting. His reaction to his uncle dying was exactly how it should have been, his reaction to his cousin moving/leaving was perfect and his reaction when Braum died was again very appropriate. It is clear that the author knows how to write male characters realistically and I am a huge fan of this since I often find issues with the way characters are portrayed realistically. 

Reading his interactions with Saphira (forgive me for spelling, I listened to this book) were my favourite parts. His insecurities were something he wasn't afraid to voice to her. Her voice in the audiobook made me have issues with her, but if I'm being honest I am not her biggest fan. I appreciate her but I don't love her. I just love their relationship and dynamic.

The very very minor romance plot in this story don't fit for me. I'm sure it gets developed and explored much more later on but right now I just don't think it's appropriate. 

Overall though, I really enjoyed this. It was something new and creative that I have never experienced before and it's really a nice breath of fresh air!

0 comments:

Post a Comment


up