Book review 24 - Obsidian by Jennifer Armentrout

Pages: 335
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Publication date: May 8, 2012
Summary: 
Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring… until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something… unexpected happens. 

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. 

If I don’t kill him first, that is.
My thoughts:
24 hours, it took me all of 24 hours to read this book and fall in love with this series.
And holy mother eff I am in love.
Listen, I had really high expectations going into this book. It has an extremely high rating given the fact that it also has nearly 100,000 ratings. I read some bad reviews of the book, but those didn't phase me. I had expectations and I went in ready to be let down.
I was so so NOT let down. This book delivered everything I wanted.
The writing: basic but still super enjoyable. Katy has an amazing voice. 
The plot: There are a few Twilight crossovers but I truly believe they are accidents. The plot is so unique. I honestly loved the story line and let me tell you Aliens are not my thing at all. Like ever.
But the characters. Oh my god the characters. Daemon Black is the hottest sassiest most infuriating male character I've ever witnessed. He is a class A asshole and I fell in love with him the moment we met him. The worlds biggest asshole I don't even think you can fully understand how much of a dick he is until you read this book and still he is actually a gift from god himself. The sass he produces could actually fuel the world enough for the rest of eternity. Put him and Celaena Sardothien in a room together for a few hours and give me some popcorn and we have ourselves some entertainment. 
Katy has a really nice voice. She's not very exciting if I am being honest, a book reviewer, but she's not a super amazing character. She is however highly relatable. A boring standard girl who spends all her time inside reading and on her blog.... hmmmm I've heard that before.. I can tell that she will eventually be a really kickass character that will far surpass anything I could ever be. She is too nice to Daemon considering the shit he has put her through. I honestly think she should have been much meaner to him but she's feisty and I like that. Dee is great, you can see the vulnerability in her but she's such a sweet bubbly character. Exact opposite of Mr. Asshole himself. Everyone else I vaguely care about but not really. Although I will say Kat's mom reminds me of Mama McCall from Teen Wolf.
Seriously though this book delivered in every way I wanted. Sassy, funny, action, great paranormal, and even steamy in a way that didn't piss me off like YA steamy scenes usually do. The sexual tension between Kat and Daemon was beautiful like it was so real I could feel it through my book.
I will say though, I am not 100% sure what the hell happened at the end of the book. There was a bit of confusion happening but I am hoping that something clears it all up in book 2... which I am starting right now.
I definitely recommend this book. Definitely.

0 comments:

Post a Comment


up