Book review 3 - Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta


Pages: 432
Publisher: Harper Teen
Publication date: August 8, 2006
Summary: 
Taylor is leader of the boarders at the Jellicoe School. She has to keep the upper hand in the territory wars and deal with Jonah Griggs - the enigmatic leader of the cadets, and someone she thought she would never see again.

And now Hannah, the person Taylor had come to rely on, has disappeared. Taylor's only clue is a manuscript about five kids who lived in Jellicoe eighteen years ago. She needs to find out more, but this means confronting her own story, making sense of her strange, recurring dream, and finding her mother - who abandoned her on the Jellicoe Road.
My thoughts:
Have you ever read a book and after you finish the book you kind of close the book and hold it in your hands and stare at it, and you feel like no matter where you go in life that the book changed you? That's what Jellicoe Road was for me.
My friend recommended it to me because we were talking about books that changed our lives. I told her mine was Stolen by Lucy Christopher and she told me this was hers, so I decided to read it. When something means a lot to my friends I like to try it out.
This book was a puzzle from page one. There are two stories and the entire time you're reading you need to know how they go together, and if they even do. That's what kept me reading. While the beginning of the book was quite uninteresting and almost slow, once I passed 50 pages and the story started, the beginning made complete sense. As slow as the beginning is, the book wouldn't be the same without it. It's also not the kind of slow that makes the book hard to get into.
The writing in the book is beyond beautiful, there is no way to really describe it. The book is so vividly etched into my mind, even though there isn't actually much imagery or anything. She focuses on story and character and it pays off. The characters are perfect. Written to be flawed and mysterious and heartbreaking and they all have so much character development that at the end you feel like you've grown with them. Really well done world building.
I have so much to say about this book, none of it coherent or useful, so I'm going to end this here by saying that I recommend this book to everyone and anyone. It is beautiful and it is heartbreaking and I feel different than I did when I started this book and these are the most important books to cherish because they make you feel something.

0 comments:

Post a Comment


up