Book review 2 - A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J Maas

Pages: 416
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Publication date: May 5, 2015
Summary: 
When nineteen-year-old huntress Feyre kills a wolf in the woods, a beast-like creature arrives to demand retribution for it. Dragged to a treacherous magical land she only knows about from legends, Feyre discovers that her captor is not an animal, but Tamlin—one of the lethal, immortal faeries who once ruled their world.
As she dwells on his estate, her feelings for Tamlin transform from icy hostility into a fiery passion that burns through every lie and warning she's been told about the beautiful, dangerous world of the Fae. But an ancient, wicked shadow grows over the faerie lands, and Feyre must find a way to stop it . . . or doom Tamlin—and his world—forever.
My thoughts:

It has been a LONG time since I read a book this good. Lately everything else lately was not making me react how I wanted to and this one did it. It was PERFECT in every way. 
The most beautifully developed and flawed characters I’ve ever seen. Feyre was so so so flawed but I loved that so much because it was a perfect way to show how human she was in comparison to all the perfect Fae around her. She made terrible decisions, and she wasn’t always doing the “right” thing and it was nice to see. Lucien and his gentle heart who just wants rainbows and butterflies and everyone to be happy. And my beautiful baby Tamlin who is a cinnamon bun too precious for this world, needs to be protected at all costs. The villain, as well, was really well done, super huge bitch not a fan but I liked the ending with her. And Rhys. The ever troubling infuriating Rhys. As a character I actually like him, he reminds me of those really sly antagonist who are actually really sweet but the damn love triangle thing with him has GOT TO GO.
The world!! I’ve only read one other book about Fae and it did not do them any justice. This book used all traditional Fae folklore and completely changed it and made it something entirely different and didn’t use all the “stereotypical” Fae plot points. It was a new take on Faerie’s and I loved it.
But what really had me hooked is the plot. Beauty and the Beast is by far my favourite disney story of all time. I love everything about it and Sarah did the story so much justice that I want to applaud her. Honestly it’s like so obviously based on BATB, but at the same time it has so many differences that it’s really “based on” rather than just a carbon copy of the fairy tale. The stockholm syndrome in BATB never bothered me for some reason (I was young and naive and didn’t know big words like Stockholm Syndrome) but I was worried about it for the book. But it was really well done and I felt like it wasn’t Stockholm Syndrome because it had a better purpose, she really just grew to like Tamlin (I mean duh who wouldn’t).

Overall, amazing. Truly amazing. I really hope she doesn’t go the love triangle root in book 3 I honestly cannot stress that enough, but I really absolutely loved this book and I know that everyone who reads this will so just stop reading my review and read the book already!

P.S. Things I want in book 2: Many dirty love poems, actually I want to read all 5 from this book and a ton more. An entire book of them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment


up