Book review 15 - Wait For You by Jennifer Armentrout

Pages: 332
Publisher: William Morrow
Publication date: February 26, 2011
Summary: 
Some things are worth waiting for.

Traveling thousands of miles from home to enter college is the only way nineteen-year-old Avery Morgansten can escape what happened at the Halloween party five years ago--an event that forever changed her life. All she needs to do is make it to her classes on time, make sure the bracelet on her left wrist stays in place, not draw any attention to herself, and maybe--please God--make a few friends, because surely that would be a nice change of pace. The one thing she didn't need and never planned on was capturing the attention of the one guy who could shatter the precarious future she's building for herself.

Some things are worth experiencing.

Cameron Hamilton is six feet and three inches of swoon-worthy hotness, complete with a pair of striking blue eyes and a remarkable ability to make her want things she believed were irrevocably stolen from her. She knows she needs to stay away from him, but Cam is freaking everywhere, with his charm, his witty banter, and that damn dimple that's just so... so lickable. Getting involved with him is dangerous, but when ignoring the simmering tension that sparks whenever they are around each other becomes impossible, he brings out a side of her she never knew existed.

Some things should never be kept quiet.


But when Avery starts receiving threatening emails and phone calls forcing her to face a past she wants silenced, she's has no other choice but to acknowledge that someone is refusing to allow her to let go of that night when everything changed. When the devastating truth comes out, will she resurface this time with one less scar? And can Cam be there to help her or will he be dragged down with her?


And some things are worth fighting for.
My thoughts:
I am in a huge reading slump lately. I have no problems reading, but I cannot for the life of me stick with a book. So imagine my joy when I start Wait For You and I stay up till 4am reading. I absolutely loved this, adored this. I really did and I truly believed I would love love the entire thing... and then I got to the scene in the bedroom at Cam's parents house.
Now, I didn't read far enough to get to the big reveal, but it's obvious to anyone with brains that she was raped at that party. I guessed it the first time she mentioned "that party" as she calls it all the time. I have never been raped, so I cannot imagine the horror that it is, especially when everyone calls you a lying whore after and essentially acts like it didn't happen. The emotional trauma she is going through is extremely understandable.
And yet... there's this really cool thing called therapy. I know she apparently went to therapy secretly when she was in HS, but 5 years in therapy and nothing helped her? She really should have continued with it. She has all these demons in her that YES let me feel sympathetic to her, but at the same time I don't think they were justifiable reasons for the way she treated Cam. 
Which leads me to why I DNF'd this book...
that scene in the room when he saw her scar solidified every negative feeling I was having towards her that I had been ignoring. I pushed through because I liked the book and I LOVED Cam and Raphael and Ollie and Britt and Jacob and I figured they were enough to get me through, but I just couldn't do it after that scene.
He sees her scar that she tried to kill herself. I understand the shame she feels because I have the same scars but it's like she didn't know Cam. Cam spent every day of 2 months asking her out. She should have known he wasn't looking at her with anger. It really bothers me that she literally cut him out of her life because he saw her scars. Not to mention dropping a class for him? Come on girl.
While that bothered me, it isn't why I stopped reading. I stopped reading because she made the conscious decision to separate herself from him and I could have dealt with that. End of book. But no, naturally as soon as he finally was able to let go of her (not REALLY let go obviously) she got jealous and upset. She made her decision and quite frankly had no right to get jealous over Cam and Steph.
Normally, I would not TERRIBLY mind that. I might have continued on the book, pretended everything was fine and waited for the inevitable happy ending, but given how weak of a character she was, how really shitty she treated Cam, and everything else I knew would be coming with her rape and everything, I just really don't have it in me to finish this book.

I'm having a problem lately where little things that I could normally ignore are ruining books for me and I guess I'm being nitpicky but I have a lot on my TBR list and I don't want to waste time reading books I don't like, and also I mean I love JLA but it's clear to me I'm destined to love Obsidian more than anything else she ever writes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment


up