Book review 1 - The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Pages: 512
Publisher: Anchor Canada
Publication date: September 13, 2011
Summary: 
The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called “Le Cirque des Reves,” and it is only open at night. But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway–a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love - a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands. True love or not, the game must play out, and the fates of everyone involved, from the cast of extraordinary circus per-formers to the patrons, hang in the balance, suspended as precariously as the daring acrobats overhead.
My thoughts:

Holy. Crap. Excuse my language but holy crap is the only way I can accurately portray what I am thinking now that I am done this book. This is, without a doubt, my favourite book I’ve ever read. There is nothing that compares or even comes close to how I feel about this book. If I could choose one fictional world to live in, I would sacrifice Hogwarts to go to this circus.
For the first time ever, I wrote a list of things I wanted to talk about in my review. I just don’t want to forget anything.
To explain The Night Circus to someone would take ages. It is impossible to explain this book without telling the entire story and giving away spoilers. The blurb of the book does a good job but really doesn’t portray the book as amazing as it is. 
This book is a puzzle. In the beginning there are so many characters and storylines that are to separate from each other that it initially feels like you’re looking at a brand new 1000 piece puzzle and you have no where to start. But gradually as you read you get the frame of the story built, like the outside of the puzzle. Then you work on the inside and as it starts coming together you start seeing the brilliance of it and things you never noticed before and that shock and surprise you. This book does that. When the pieces of this puzzle start coming together the book goes from wow to amazing. There is no better way to describe this book than a puzzle.
The Night Circus manages to bring you into another world entirely. I just spent the last few days in an entire different world than the one I am currently in and I didn’t want to leave it. Morgenstern manages to create this amazing setting in your head with this vivid imagery and description. Truly some of the best writing I have ever seen. I almost hate her for creating a place where I cannot go because I wish more than anything I could see this circus in person. Although, she does manage to make you feel like you are apart of the story, like you’re more than just a bystander watching everything happen. You feel like you play a key role in this story.
Another aspect of the book is the little bits where she is writing directly to you. Telling you to imagine that you are in the circus. I thought this was for an added bonus, trying to make it seem more real, but at the end finding out what it was actually was the most fitting ending. The entire book was brought together full circle with that last line. 
The characters are outstanding. I won’t go into details with all of them because there is simply too much to say and not enough words left in my mind to explain. The characters and character development were stunning. If I could give her an award for writing I would. They are intricate and delicate and strong and extremely complex and they are all amazing. And for once I found a book where I didn’t hate a single character. I didn’t even dislike a single character. Even the background characters that are unimportant are loved because they are all so important to the story. They are the puzzle piece to the story that, without this piece, the entire puzzle falls apart. So kind of like the glue.
This book is not confusing, at all. It has a lot of things that you don’t understand, but it brings with it a sense of patience. There is no rush to find anything out. And I love that. I’ve never felt that before. Things you don’t understand are all eventually explained, but even if they aren’t you don’t care. The ending is still a bit more than I fully understood, but I just don’t care because it was all so beautiful
I doubt anyone has read my entire review for this book, but if you have managed to read to the end of it and you are still not convinced to read this book, I STRONGLY urge you to do so. I am so passionate about this book and I have a feeling I will live to love it for years and years to come. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment


up